Factors Infulencing Utilization of Family Planning Information by Rural Households: The Case of Kombolcha District, Ethiopia

Course ID
Ethiopian Economics Association (EEA)
Bedada Begna

The population of Ethiopia is largely rural (83 percent) and young, with 44 percent under the age of 15. Such a structure results in a high dependency ratio as well as a future rapid exponential population growth. If this growth does not decline in the coming years, it is expected that the population of Ethiopia will double in about 25 years. A young and rapidly growing population is putting pressure on agricultural lands especially in high land areas of the country. For keeping the balance between the population growth rate and economic growth rate of the country, mitigating or controlling the rapidly growing population through the help of family planning package services is an important measure to be taken. A long period of time has passed without reaching the intended targets in relation to FPI utilization in the country particularly in Oromia region. This study was designed to assess the level of family planning information utilization and to assess factors affecting FPI utilization among rural women in Kombolcha Woreda. The study used multistage sampling technique to select sample respondents and it used both probability and non‐probability sampling methods. Among the districts found in Eastern Hararghe Zone, Kombolcha Woreda was purposively selected and a total of 120 sample couples were randomly selected from three PAs, and surveyed. Data was analyzed using qualitative methods, descriptive statistics and binary logit model. The study results showed that 93.3% of the respondents had information on family planning services and birth control methods, and only 6.7% did not have any information on family planning services. From the total sampled couples, 40.9% were users of some modern FPI at the time of the survey while the remaining 59.1% were non users. In the study area, from the nine birth control methods provided by family planning extension packages only four methods were well known and only two methods (injectables and oral pills) were widely used by rural women. Results of the binary logistic regression model analysis showed that among the 10 explanatory variables entered into the model, seven of them, viz. family size preference, land holding, information seeking behavior, husband education, fear of side effects, extension contact and ideal number of children desired were found to be the statistically significant factors that influence the utilization of FPI among rural women in the study area. The community had information on family planning services; yet, further provision of adequate and quality education is required in the study area to make the family planning more effective than it is now. Therefore, targeting the identified factors, and making policy and development interventions can promote the level of utilization of FPI among rural women in the study area.

Corporate Author:Getnet Alemu, Worku Gebeyehu & Demirew Getachew (Editors) & Ethiopian Economic Association (EEA)
Publisher:Ethiopian Economic Association (EEA)
Primary Descriptors:Population – Family planning

Secondary Descriptor:Fertility, Human

Geographic Descriptors:Ethiopia. Kombolcha
Cataloge Date:03/12/2015
Broad Subject heading:Family planning – Ethiopia
Call Number:330.963 PRO 2014
Serial Key Title:Proceedings of the Eleventh International Conference on the Ethiopian Economy
Publication catagory:International Conference
Content type:EEA Publication
Publication date:2014-06-02 00:00:00
Forum or Discussion date:2013-07-17 00:00:00
Type of material:Book
Current frequency:Annually
Author: Bedada Begna, D. S. Rajan, and Jama Haji