Ethiopian Economics Association (EEA) and Independent Council of Economic Advisors (ICEA)
Immediate Vacancy Announcement
1. Job Title: Senior Economist
2. Reports to: Secretariat of ICEA and Director of Research and Policy Analysis (RPA) of EEA
3. Job Summary: The Independent Council of Economic Advisors (ICEA) and Ethiopian Economics Association (EEA) are committed to jointly undertaking a project titled Rebuilding, Restitution, Rehabilitation, and Reconstruction (4R) of the Postconflict Ethiopian Economy. This project focuses on the assessment of the domestic conflict in the country, revision of the Ten-Year Devolvement Plan (TYDP), and launching of a flagship publication known as Ethiopia Economic Outlook (EEO). The primary responsibility of the Senior Economist is to realize such activities in close collaboration with the ICEA, EEA, the Ministry of Planning and Development (MoPD), and other collaborators.
4. Specific Duties
Under the overall guidance of the Secretariat of ICEA, the senior economist will perform the following specific activities:
4.1. Compile data and evidence suitable to conduct research and analysis on the post-conflict economy and to enhance the economic database of the Council;
4.2. Review theoretical and empirical literature and analyzes data to prepare research and gap analysis reports;
4.3. Produce context analysis report on the post-conflict Ethiopian economy;
4.4. Conduct a rapid appraisal of the magnitude of economic damage in the country, including the opportunity cost of the civil conflict on economic growth;
4.5. Review relevant inter-country experiences in post-conflict recovery and reconstruction;
4.6. Develop a recovery and rehabilitation plan;
4.7. Assess the prospects of the post-conflict Ethiopian economy;
4.8. Conduct gap analyses in all their relevant dimensions;
4.9. Reviews the TYDP and produce a synthesis report;
4.10. Prepares the EEO Book;
4.11. Leads the research team and coordinates activities;
4.12. Prepares policy and research briefs on outputs of research and gap analysis;
4.13. Prepares reports on the progress of major activities of the project;
4.14. Engages in the dissemination of research outputs and other information generated; and
4.15. Performs other duties as required and as assigned by his/her immediate supervisor.
5. Qualification and Experience
Education: Ph.D. in Economics with three years’ experience is required.
5.1. Degree in fields related to Macroeconomics.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in economic and social research and analysis, policy formulation, application of economic principles and models in development planning and programmes or related areas is required;
- Proven track record of refereed international academic publications, policyoriented papers, articles, books, or chapters on macroeconomics, economic development, and economic governance is required;
- Demonstrated experience in development planning and economy-wide modeling (e.g. Computable General Equilibrium Model) is desirable;
- Demonstrated experience and skills in managing and analyzing socioeconomic data using statistical/econometric software packages including Stata, DASP, and GAMS; and
- Excellent skills in spoken and written English.
6. Salary: Attractive and negotiable depending on the professional profile and expertise of the applicant.
7. Required: One (1)
8. Place of work: Addis Ababa.
9. Period of Employment: Five months with the possibility of extension based on performance and availability of fund.
10. Date of application: Within ten (10) working days from the date of announcement.
Interested applicants who meet the above requirements can submit non-returnable copies of educational and other supporting documents along with their CVs and academic credentials to the following address.
Ethiopian Economics Association
P.O. Box 34282, Addis Ababa
Or in person to EEA Head office which is located to Yeka Sub City, Woreda 11, CMC Road, (‘ALTAD’ area), adjacent to St. Michael Church or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org