ETHIOPIAN ECONOMICS ASSOCIATION (EEA)
Immediate Vacancy Announcement
Job Title: Research Assistant
Project title: Global Foundational Analysis to Close Gender Profitability Gap
Reports to: Research and Policy Analysis Director of the Ethiopian Economics Association (EEA)
Open Date: December 20, 2021
Application deadline: January 1, 2022
Job summary: The Research Assistant will work under the collaborative research project titled Global Foundational Analysis to Close Gender Profitability Gap (GPG). Our cross-continental research team seeks to appoint one research assistant to assist on an exciting new project. It is a collaborative research project financed by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) and undertaken by Ethiopian Economics Association (EEA) from Ethiopia, New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) from United Arab Emirates (UAE), Vassar College from The United States of America (USA), and College of Development Studies (CoDS) of Addis Ababa University (AAU) from Ethiopia. The project intended to achieve four primary goals: 1) Improve understanding of the global business and policy environment for women owned enterprises; 2) Increase the knowledge of facts, trends and predictors of the gender profit gap at the global level; 3) Synthesize existing research and evidence on gender gaps in entrepreneurship and enterprise performance; and 4) Deeply explore the gender profitability gap in Ethiopia. More detail about the project can be found on our website (http://pages.vassar.edu/gender-profit-gap/).
The research assistant position responsibilities shall include, but not be limited to, the following
- Works closely with the project coordinator and researchers and deepen the gender profitability gap analysis for Ethiopia;
- Works with the principal investigators and post-doctoral researchers in compiling relevant data to investigate the national and global gender profitability gap;
- Reviews theoretical and empirical literature on gender inequality, economic empowerment, and profitability gap across countries;
- Review relevant literature; and assist both the global and national component of the project and produce review and working papers;
- Combine and harmonize the research reports produced by the post-docs;
- Work on both the global and the national analysis on the gender profitability gap focused on Ethiopia,
- Collect, organize, document and manage international and national survey data deemed relevant for the studies under the project and the EEA economic database;
- Draft research reports and produce policy briefs;
- Participate in different forums organized by EEA and its collaborators to disseminate the research findings;
- Report about progress of the project activities to his/her immediate supervisor;
- Conduct other research assistance activities related to the project as required and requested by the project coordinator and the project team; and
- Perform other related activities assigned by the Director of Research and Policy Analysis.
Qualification: The applicant should have at least MSc degree with relevant research experience in Economics, Development Economics, Industrial Economics, Business Economics, Gender Economics, Financial Economics, Econometrics, or other fields related to Economics. Recent graduates of PhD in above fields in the last three years are highly encouraged to apply. We encourage applications from very promising candidates with a capacity to conduct innovative, high-quality, scholarly research ineconomics, with a particular interest in research pertaining to gender inequality and private enterprise development in low-income countries.
This research capacity and experience related to the project (gender inequality, gender profitability gap, women economic empowerment, gender and economy, and related areas) is highly desirable; applicants should have knowledge in data management and analysis with standard and comprehensive statistical/econometric software packages such as Stata. Candidates with prior experience on manipulation, management and analysis of huge datasets and databases are highly encouraged to apply. Women applicants are highly encouraged.
Terms of employment: The duration of employment is for 18 months, from February 2022 to July 2023. The successful candidate will be based at the Ethiopian Economics Association (EEA), Addis Ababa during the course of the project and works collaboratively with the senior EEA staff, post-doc researchers and principal investigators of the project from NYAUD and VC.
Salary: Attractive (negotiable depending on experience and past earning history)
Required: One (1)
Place of work: EEA office, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
How to Apply:
- Resume (with names and contact information of two references)
- Cover letter explaining interest in the position
- Copies of academic credentials (degrees and student copies/transcripts) and other supporting credentials